Media City 2 Day MA Project -
I was lucky enough to be invited along to work as a set designer at a 48 hour project some MA Students where working on.
I was working alongside Patricia, Sam and Adam who are all pretty good illustrators and whilst it isn’t my strongest point I was still very keen to lend a hand.
We started the Project by meeting up with Charlotte and the rest of the gang as the panellist’s told the script writers what they had to do over the next 48 hours, this involved writing a script, casting actors/actresses, filming and then editing the production - not to mention having the set designed in that time too.
After the initial briefing all the media based students split off and where given an hour to create a 5 minute script on basically whatever they wanted.
In this time our team saw it best to start looking into how we created the set - we knew we could use props ect, and we had a lot of media to work with it was just looking at the most effective way of doing it.
Adam then mentioned his project that he did over in the landing building, it was a lot of strong work and the sharpie seemed to give it a really sharp effect.
We all started having a look around the internet when I came across a piece of work by Charlotte Mann ( http://www.charlottemann.co.uk ) I mentioned to the rest of the team that this might be a good angle to look into, then collectively we decided to take out a lot of the high detail and just simplify it that way no ones drawing style would be apparent all over the set.
After the theme was decided we came back into the room and listened to all the scripts - each one was fantastic, each with there own difference that got our design team thinking of how we’d design the sets for each script.
In the end it was comedy script - Pedro the Snake that won not only the audience over with its humour, but the judges panel too.
However at this time the script writers hadn’t finished the final scene, but we knew for definite that we could crack on with the first garden set design.
We roughed out a few initial sketches to show to the media team and script writers, once we got a thumbs up on this and after the casting had been done, we where able to jump straight into it.
Unfortunately we only started around 4 so I was only able to help for a few hours as I had firm plans for the evening, but I managed to help the team get off to a great start.
I came back the following morning after seeing that all the sets had already been designed by Patrica, Adam and Tash who stayed there until 1 o’clock in the morning.
The set looked incredible, everything our team had designed on paper and all of our ideas that we’d put together looked amazing as a final product, especially the small details such as all the objects used by the cast where done in the same style as the background - this way your all most bringing full focus onto the set design.
I had a fantastic time getting involved with a project like that, and l have managed to mention to Tash, Charrlotte and Lloyd that If any project like that was to arise again I’d love to get involved and actually stay to full amount of time.
I’m looking forward to seeing how the set looks on the big screen this Monday.